Friday, February 10, 2012

Accused man told police fatal knifing was 'complete accident'

A MAN accused of killing his brother's best friend told police he had not wanted to cause any harm.

Lee Barclay admits manslaughter but denies the murder of James Martin outside his brother Dennis's maisonette on Walker Place, Easton, in the early hours of July 1 last year.

Yesterday at Bristol Crown Court, 35-year-old Lee's police interviews were read out to the jury.

In one, he told detectives: "It was a complete accident because I swear to God, I loved the man."

The jury has heard how an argument over a missing mobile phone memory card led to the fatal confrontation between the men.

Lee, of Gordon Road, Whitehall, had drunk a bottle of wine and Mr Martin, 31, was almost four times the drink-drive limit for alcohol when he was stabbed in the chest.

In interview, Lee admitted picking up a large knife from his brother's kitchen and going outside with the intention of scaring Mr Martin.

He said: "I was hoping that he'd see the knife and go home, but before I could do anything he was on me and we went over (fell).

"At no point have I dived forward with the knife and lunged at him.

"Before I went to get up I was saying 'I do not want to fight you James, go home'."

Lee said he saw James stand up and soon there was blood "everywhere".

The defendant admitted screaming for his mum as he could not believe what had happened.

The jury heard after the stabbing Lee "panicked" and "flipped".

The trial continues.

reiki healing healing reiki healing with reiki

No comments:

Post a Comment